In 1887, an English-born printer named Albert Molineux suggested establishing an Agricultural Bureau in South Australia.
On the 27th of February 1888, the Government adopted his suggestion and the inaugural meeting of the Central Agricultural Bureau of South Australia was held on the 10th of April 1888.
The Central Agricultural Bureau was set up to advise the Minister of Agriculture on farming matters and to act as the governing body for the Agricultural Bureau. The Central Bureau had 10 members.
There had been a number of local agricultural associations and farmers’ clubs in South Australia since soon after settlement in 1836. When the Central Agricultural Bureau was created, it set about encouraging the establishment of local Bureau Branches.
In its first 12 months, it supported the founding of branches in a dozen rural areas, including Mannum, Millicent, Nuriootpa, Stansbury, Burra and Gumeracha. Millicent and Nuriootpa (now known as the Angaston branch) are all still operating and are just two of the 60 active branches across the state with nearly 1300 members.